Monday, April 18, 2016

My Writing: Jonah Byers

Before this class, my definition of "research" was looking up sources online specifically by title, then skimming for meaningful quotes. No understanding of the source, no actual learning from them and application to my writing, just "go in, get the quotes, get out." I realize now that my first attempt at researching sources for Nicole back in February was much like that; I wasn't so much looking for useful information as I was just trying to find sources that sounded like they were useful. However, the more I tried, the more I realized that just skimming wasn't going to cut it. After that, my research was so much more in depth (literally, in some cases, as I found myself lost in the depths of the HBLL a few times), but I emerged with a much better knowledge of what makes a research paper and how sources are used within it.

I will admit, I still need to work on thesis statements, but at least I understand what makes a good one now. I may not have participated in the different theses assignment (that was the day my computer broke and took the Apple Store most of the day to fix), but reading everyone else's and understanding the differences between them was incredibly helpful for any future writing and criticism I may write.

The most glaring improvement I've made in writing is the use of scheduled drafts. All through high school, I was very much the student who was so confident in their writing ability that they never do more than one draft. I'd write an essay and turn it in without any kind of drafting process, proofreading, peer-editing, or any other kind of revising. I shudder to think of what my grade would have been like for this class if I'd taken that approach for the final paper. The first time we did an in-class drafting assignment really opened my eyes to how actually reviewing and planning my writing improved it so much.

Finally, peer critiques as well as just discussing works with friends really helped me understand where I could go with the assignments. Rebekah and I were just idly discussing different concepts in our papers and, while I can't speak for her, just that discussion really helped me figure out where to go for the final draft. Having a friend or classmate read through your work and drafting was an important step that, as a full-fledged socially anxious introvert, I never wanted to accept, but now, I don't think I'll ever submit another essay or paper without having someone else read it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment