Thursday, April 21, 2016

My Writing: Sage Madsen

This semester... wow! It's been one of the hardest semesters ever, but thankfully I had a lot of really amazing experiences despite the all-around difficulty. This class has been one of those amazing experiences. I'd never studied John Donne poetry before, and I ended up studying him in other classes this semester as well... alongside all his intense poetry, I came to understand life a little more, too. 


My all-time favorite part of this class, however, was the final research paper. I’m pretty sure my roommates and my friends and my family heard more about Harry Potter in the past few months than they ever thought they wanted to, but no matter. I enjoyed (for the first time ever) actually doing the research behind the paper. I threw myself into it, and even though it was hard work, I loved it. I can't begin to tell you how therapeutic is was for me to basically immerse myself in another world and leave my problems behind for a while.

However, I think I might have gotten a little too heavily involved in my primary text. I need to remember in the future to come up for air and make sure my readers understand how my ideas link together. Writing (although it makes me happy just to get the words out there) needs to be read and understood by others, too. I need to keep that in mind.

Looking back to my very first blog post, I said that “Sage doesn’t feel comfortable sharing her writing” and "Sage is prone to deleting too much too soon." (Sage's First Blog Post)  But I'm happy to say that I'm not so scared to do that anymore. The social aspect of this class helped me get over my fear of people knowing that I write stuff. Being an English major isn't something to be ashamed of, doggone it! And making mistakes? There's still some trepidation, but who cares if what I put out there isn't perfect? #thoughtblurps

I think that's another thing I've learned about life through writing in this class.., it doesn't have to be perfect. Just like a Bob Ross painting, there are no mistakes - just happy little accidents. 




No comments:

Post a Comment