Sunday, January 31, 2016

Staking a Claim

Well, this is a bit of an exercise. We'll see how I fair. It's a little up in the air at the moment. Wish me luck! Constructive criticism is thoroughly welcome, as this is not my strongest area of writing! (My strongest, sadly, is rather unusable in most scenarios.)  I've chosen to sort of stick to the topic of education and knowledge in these, just exploring the same kind of idea using the different types of claims we learned about.



Causal: The style of language and style of narration used in the play W;t leads the audience to discover its characters in a way that a novel or non-visual text cannot.

Policy: Although Vivian falls victim to an early death of cancer, she shows that true education and wisdom should be sought no matter the circumstance.

Definition: W;t is a play that shows the lasting importance and fulfillment that a strong education can give a person.

Comparison: Vivian's deep reactions and narrative depend greatly upon her sense of intellect, and would have been entirely different had she experienced a different education.

Evaluation: Vivian, throughout the course of the play's narrative, deals better with her situation because she maintains a sense of inner knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. I think that your causal claim is great! However, you could try acknowledging the opposing sides in the thesis as well to help give it a bit more validity. Also I'm curious--what's your strongest area of writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find it difficult to be able to acknowledge an opposing side AND make my statement in one sentence, so that's definitely something I need to work on... And the only area of writing I'm actually any good at, really, is creative/emotional writing. That's part of the reason I get carried away on these so easily...heh. :)

      Delete