Sunday, March 6, 2016

A Twist on Harry Potter

I actually took to social media for help deciding the book to write about. I was given a lot of great suggestions from many of my friends. (It also helped me add quite a bit to my TO READ list!) But the most significant piece of advice was "write what you know." And, if there is one thing I know a lot about, it is Harry Potter. 

Same here, buddy. Same here. 


I was afraid, however, that this would become a cliche thing. Something too easy for me. So I want to consider a different side to Harry Potter. Often, we focus on the magic or the prejudice of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I want to see how I can take this a new direction. 

Harry Potter is a significant series because it has essentially raised a generation of readers. There are many, just like me, that were lured into reading by promise of a magical world unlike our own. These books have taught millions to love reading. They are chock full of fantastic wordplay and unexpected plot lines. They have brought to life fictional characters for an entire generation. 

These books are significant to me because they taught me how important words are and what writing can do for people. Harry Potter taught me many things. The books teach. THAT is what I want to focus on in my paper. What does Harry Potter say about teaching, learning, and education? How does government (the ministry of magic) fit into that equation? 

I have already begun exploring some social avenues for this paper! 
   -Pottermore: an online experience for Potter fans that is full of essays and stories from JK Rowling about the Harry Potter world. There is background information on characters and discussions between fans available.
   -Facebook: I already (rather awkwardly) joined a (rather small and closed) facebook group dedicated to rereading and discussing Harry Potter books. Already I have seen (but not participated) in conversations about Fred and George and their educations!!!!
   -Goodreads: There are SO MANY online discussions happening about Harry Potter. I just need to filter them down to find some quality ones. 
   -Twitter: I already follow JK Rowling on twitter (#biggestfan) and have already seen many of her comments and answers to questions. She does question and answer sessions fairly often which is exciting to watch. 
   -Friends: I have friends that are willing (and excited) to discuss Harry Potter with me regularly. My sister has also basically given me a possible thesis statement unintentionally through text message. 

I am extremely excited about where this research paper can go! I have so much support and so many resources. 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you've got a lot of possibilities with this paper. That's a really cool way to look at it too, focusing in on the educational aspect of things. I'm excited to see how this one develops!

    ReplyDelete