Monday, March 14, 2016

Playful Prewriting for Potter


So guys, can I just tell you how fun this week has been? I've been super duper stressed out about life, and so sitting down with one of my favorite stories of all time was definitely an answer to a prayer I didn't know I had been praying. I decided to read all the Harry Potter books because I had no idea which one to focus on, and so on Monday night I put in a request to the school library for all seven books. I didn't get them until Thursday night, and so I set about trying to read them all in less than four days. I got through the fourth one and a few chapters of the fifth, and I went through quite a few post-y notes. But I have never had more fun reading books than I did this past weekend. It's been a definite dream to be able to analyze Harry Potter like I've analyzed books for my past English classes.   I haven't finished post-y noting the third and fourth books yet, but I"m excited to keep at it this week and add in more sources that apply to the things I found and wrote down as I read.

I've also talked with a lot of friends and family this week while reading. My little brother hasn't read any of the books himself before... my mom read us the first two books when we were younger, but he wasn't old enough to understand much of what was going on. When I asked him why he hasn't read them before, he said that they looked too thick. My roommate hasn't read the books before either, and when I asked her why, she said that the books came out when her family was living on a farm in a remote part of Brazil, so she didn't have access to the books. These two were the only ones I had talked with who hadn't read the books before, so I'm excited to continue to find more people to get "data" from about this.

I'm planning on doing a social media poll on Facebook to find out which books are the favorite out of the series, why people like them, which characters are more relatable, and if people haven't read the books, why they haven't. I'm excited to get even more information about this.


No comments:

Post a Comment