Thursday, March 24, 2016

East of Eden Writing

Next Steps and Draft

So, here we go. I will be using my annotated bibliography and some of the other sources that I've looked at, even just as references to keep me on-track. I have an idea of what paragraphs I want to write and a little bit of what I want to say. My goal: get my preliminary thoughts on paper. It will be a more skeletal draft than I'm used to writing, but it's a start.

Update
So I ended up with less sources and more thoughts, which I thought was fine for a super messy, preliminary write-up. I think I did get down my most basic outline, which was the goal. Again, sorry that it's so choppy:

            The concept of “timshel” is very valid and well-supported in this epic novel. It is the character of Lee, the Chinese immigrant who raises Adam’s twin boys Aron and Caleb, who goes by “Cal”. During his years of research on the Bible, Lee discovers that in the original Hebrew, the word given with God’s commands is “timshel,” meaning “thou mayest.” Lee then states that “[this] might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on a man” to choose his own actions rather than being forced to do anything. (301) This is an empowering idea, as this allows all people to act freely, but it is also a responsibility and accountability for one’s own actions. No one is forced to do anything, so they must live with the consequences of whatever they choose to do. This is shown very poignantly in the final meeting of Cathy, then Kate, and her husband Adam. When Adam finds her in her prostitution house, Kate believes that, just as before, she can use manipulation to gain power of her former husband. But Adam chose to confront her and his feelings of love for her, and in doing so, he saw her as she truly was. He could not be fooled anymore and he was free to act. He even “laughed because he knew that [she didn’t matter]” to him anymore. (323) Parallel to his choices are Kate’s very purposeful actions. She chose again and again to lash out and hurt Adam as much as she could with her blackmail, her lies and affair, and her sexuality. But Adam realizes and declares to her that she “hate[s] the good in [others] that [she] can’t get at,” which is “something [that she] can’t understand.” (321) Yet even though she, as a sociopath, cannot understand goodness the way that others can, she still puts for real effort to ruin others. That is not just her nature—it is her conscious decision. She becomes bound by her horrible, selfish choices when she loses power over Adam and therefore can no longer make choices for them both in the situation.
            Yet there is a paradox, for even though every person has the ability to choose for themselves, they each have a unique drive that causes them to choose the things that they do. There is something that motivates each person that causes them to act differently from others, and this thing can be defining. When Adam is forced to think again about Cathy, he must choose how to respond. Lee tells him that even though he is facing a choice, “[his] course is drawn. What [he] will do is written—written in every breath [he’s] ever taken” (376). Human thought and habits are both consistent and persistent. It is difficult to break free of our usual thoughts processes and perceptions.

            But it is a person’s right to choose that course, whatever their reasoning, that Steinbeck so highly praises. He declares that he would “fight for” every person’s right to make their own decisions because “the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world.”  This is the thing that, above anything else, Steinbeck believes and wants others to know—that every person can and should make their own choices and should also rejoice in the fact that they can. He seems to find strength in the idea that we make our choices free of outside influences, even our nurture, as this takes away the most precious “freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected.” In this way we come to rely more on ourselves and our personal progress as we journey through life rather than be shaped by the circumstances and factors outside of our control. For Steinbeck, as shown in this epic novel, this is the crowning glory of mankind—to be one’s own person and make their own decisions for themselves.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are starting to narrow down your thoughts and ideas! I think that this will be a great paper as you keep refining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really interesting! I liked how you started off with a little bit of context and summary of the book. I had a little trouble pinpointing your thesis/where your essay was going to go but I think with a little bit of editing you'll be able to narrow and specify your thoughts even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you talk about the importance of making choices. We talk about it a lot within a religious point of view, but not so much outside of the "bubble" context. I think this will be a really interesting read when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I have never read East of Eden before, I felt a little lost concerning the characters and plot. BUT I felt that the topic was extremely interesting and I felt intrigued enough to want to read on and read the actual book myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Veronica. I'm intrigued most about this idea that is usually found in a religious context being discussed academically. I'm interested in the direction it's heading.

    ReplyDelete