Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sources for Sylvie and Bruno!

All right, here we go. Source compiling...start!

Working thesis statement: Lewis Carroll, in his novel Sylvie and Bruno, makes the statement that although children may be seen as "innocent" and adults "guilty," there must be a bridge between these two places in order to achieve an ideal balance between purity and knowledge.



Duschinsky, Robbie. "Childhood Innocence: Essence, Education, and Performativity." Textual Practice 27.5 (2013): 763-81. Web. [Journal article, HBLL databases]

This source talks a lot about the portrayal of innocence or supposed innocence in children, and how it is viewed by others. It looks like it's going to be super helpful in identifying some of the devices Carroll uses to describe or display his younger characters.


Robinson, Kerry H. Innocence, Knowledge, and the Construction of Childhood: The Contradictory Nature of Sexuality and Censorship in Children's Contemporary Lives. London: Routledge, 2013. Print. [eBook, HBLL databases]

This one might be a little bit of a long shot, but I thought it might be interesting to use it to try to observe where a child might begin to cross the metaphorical bridge into non-innocence by looking more closely at outside forces and how children think.


Jones, Anna Maria. "The Victorian Childhood of Manga: Toward a Queer Theory of the Child in Toboso Yana's Kuroshitsuji." Criticism 55.1 (2013): 1. Web. [Journal article, HBLL databases]

Okay. Now if my previous source was a long shot, this one is a hop, a skip, a jump and a trip over a cliff. However. I found it on the first page of results when simply searching "Victorian children". It caught my eye because I happen to be a manga dork and a huge fan of this series in particular. What I found fascinating was the what ifs that this article seemed to present. What if children were as tainted and knowledgeable and wily as adults? What if their innocence was only presented to be exploited? While, as I said, it's far-fetched and I may not use it, I think it may be invaluable to look at Sylvie and Bruno through this lens--which is entirely different from the lens I have been seeing it through.


Schatz, Stephanie L. "Lewis Carroll's Dream-child and Victorian Child Psychopathology." Journal of the History of Ideas 76.1 (2015): 93. Web. [Jounal article, HBLL databases]

I know this one is specific to Lewis Carroll, but I found it really very interesting. It not only talks about children, but also about the dream-state's relation to them. While it focuses on Alice in Wonderland, much the same idea can be applied to Slyvie and Bruno.


Clarke, David. "Archaeology: The Loss of Innocence." Antiquity 47.185 (1973): 6-18. Web. [Journal article, Google Scholar]

 This source talks a lot about the switch between childhood and adulthood. It also talks about the "self-consciousness" found in adults, which is highly related to the topic of names/positions in Sylvie and Bruno. I will likely definitely use this one.


Corbí, Josep E. Morality, Self-knowledge, and Human Suffering: An Essay on the Loss of Confidence in the World. New York: Routledge, 2012. Print. [eBook, Google Scholar]

This last source focuses mostly on adults and how they interact with the world based upon their levels of self-consciousness and self-awareness. I believe it expands a lot on some of the ideas presented in Clarke's article, and goes more in depth into them. I think this was a good find.

2 comments:

  1. Your sources look so so so interesting! A lot of these articles remind me of my Child Development class I took a few semesters ago. It might be interesting to consider Freudian ideas? Maybe? I don't know. Sounds like it will be a super interesting paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sources look so so so interesting! A lot of these articles remind me of my Child Development class I took a few semesters ago. It might be interesting to consider Freudian ideas? Maybe? I don't know. Sounds like it will be a super interesting paper!

    ReplyDelete