Thursday, March 3, 2016

Why "The Yellow Wallpaper"?

For this project, I've chosen to research a short story that I first read in my English 293 class, "The Yellow Wallpaper, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.  This isn't one of my all-time favorite stories, but I found it really interesting and want to research it more.  It was one of the first works to really expose the oppression that women faced back in the early 19th century, and the lack of understanding and acceptance of mental conditions such as post-partum depression.

There are a lot of audiences that are very interested in these topics.  I haven't decided the route that I specifically want to take yet, whether it be feminism or post-partum depression, but I know that there are various options for either. Some include:

  • Goodreads discussion boards
  • #theyellowwallpaper, #ppd, #feminism, etc.
  • This blog: http://www.everythinghurts.me/blog/2016/2/6/a-story-of-our-pain-then-and-now
  • Facebook pages: "women's studies," "feminism," "post-partum depression"
  • I also have a few friends that are very interested in women's studies.  I'm excited to bounce ideas off of them and get some live feedback.
I was really worried about the book I'd find for this project, but now I know that there will be a lot of research and information available on this topic and I can't wait to learn more about it.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read "The Yellow Wallpaper" but have definitely heard about it. I like how you are keeping your options open because anyone can argue feminism. Definitely think I'll have to add this one to my TO READ list and definitely can't wait to see your take on it

    ReplyDelete