Monday, March 21, 2016

Symposium Adventures

This was my first symposium and wow it was amazing!

The first thing I did was attend the Shakespeare session at 1215-115 on Thursday. Like Sage, I work and so my boss was cool enough to let me have the hour off, although I had to make up by staying later on Friday, but we will over look that for now haha

So for the Shakespeare session the first two papers really stuck out to me.
The first one a girl discussed the translation of Shakespeare in to movies, text messages, even into sign language. She argued that while there are many aspects of the beautiful language that are lost, the translations bring the universal themes into a new light and make them available to more people.
The second paper was written by a guy who chose to place Ophelia in a position of power. Instead of Ophelia being acted upon she was acting in her own way. She wasn't insane but rather moved past reason. It was brilliant and I loved how he shed new light on a character that gets so much crap most of the time!

Both of these papers I thought would work well with what I am arguing because they take the original mindset of the audience and flip it on its head. Their arguments made me really think and could be useful for keeping my paper from being boring and conforming to everyone eles's views on Steinbeck.

The other thing I did was I volunteered at the English Society's table during the symposium. It was super fun working at the table and getting a look into the behind the scenes.. PLUS during that time Michigan lost to Midd Tennessee which I mean who doesn't love a good Basketball game?

Check out the English Society FB page for more recaps of the Symposium!
https://www.facebook.com/byuenglishsociety/

No comments:

Post a Comment