Monday, February 1, 2016

5 Theses of Wit


Being specific is hard and I know I didn't succeed in that, though I could revise these into more specific theses. 
  1. [Policy Claim] Though Vivian claims otherwise, the idea of wit doesn’t only belong in the world of academics, because it enlivens spontaneous life.  
  2. [Definition Claim] Though it’s subject matter is cancer, Wit isn’t a commentary on cancer and death, rather it is a commentary on choices.  
  3. [Comparison Claim] Though Vivian demonstrates a complex understanding of John Donne’s poetry, Vivian ends up as a foil for John Donne himself.  
  4. [Evaluation Claim] Vivian missed the point of being an academic, despite having an excellent mentor.  
  5. [Causal Claim] Wit sets us up to better understand Vivian’s complex character and purpose, through formal elements of the play, despite it’s dramatic flashiness of life versus death themes.

2 comments:

  1. I like your definition claim. I felt the same way as I was reading the play, that it's not about cancer really at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of exploring Vivian's mentor (in your evaluation claim). I think your claim could be stated a little more clearly, like what the point of being an academic is or what her excellent mentor was like. I also loved your comparison claim of how Vivian is a foil for John Donne, really insightful!

    ReplyDelete