Monday, February 1, 2016

Ugh. Thesisisss.

So I'm not gonna lie, I don't like thesis statements. Trying to write them, trying to find them in what other people have written, and trying to make someone understand that you DO have a thesis statement in your introduction but maybe they didn't look hard enough? It's enough to make me want to throw my hands in the air and yell "Who wants to be a math major?"

But that's beside the point. And hating on thesis statements isn't going to get this blog post posted. So for now, I'll just fake it 'til I make it and pretend that I love love love LOOOOOVE writing not one, but FIVE thesis statements. 

About the assignment: I have never ever heard of the "5 different claims." This is all  new to me and so I'm probably going to do this wrong. I've watched the video dozens of times and read through the slides a whole lot too, but I still don't get it. Which is probably why this has taken me so doggone long to post something. 

Anyway. Moving on.


Policy: In the play "Wit," the audience should recognize from the very beginning that the death of Vivian Bearing is inevitable, giving the play an immediate reflection of the tone in the poetry of John Donne. 

Definition: The straightforward use of the sets in the play "Wit" is not a means to distract, but rather a tool used to show how the majority of the play occurs in the subconsciousness of Vivian Bearing, placing the majority of the emphasis on the words rather than the elaborate design and set up of the stage. 

Comparison: The side-by-side monologues in the play "Wit" are like the side-by-side translations that one might make in an attempts to better understand a poem, which reflects the subconscious desire of Vivian Bearing to analyze everything in her life as if it were a poem by John Donne. 

Evaluation: The diction used in the play "Wit" is a distinct reflection of the inner workings of the mind of a literature professor, and by taking a technical approach in analyzing her disease, Vivian shows her dependency on her poetry without ever admitting it outright. 

Casual: The juxtaposition of Susie and Jason along side Vivian enables the audience to recognize the changes that occur in the mind of Vivian as she learns how to accept pain and death as a natural part of life. 




4 comments:

  1. I agree! I was kinda confused tbh haha but I really enjoyed reading through your thesis statements! I especially liked your definitions claim! Thought that it was really good and would make for an interesting paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comparison thesis here is very strong. I like that you continue to focus on the subconscious and Vivian's relation to John Donne's poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I like your picture. I also like how you bolded the parts of the thesis that made it of a particular variety. The evaluation thesis pulls out an interesting point that she is dependent on poetry and on her view of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job of writing specific theses that are so individual to their type of claim. I also that that analyzing the monologues side by side would be a really interesting exercise!

    ReplyDelete