Monday, February 1, 2016

Let's Get This Over With

Thesis statements. The dreaded thesis statement, that will make or break your paper, that will set you up for complete successful or total failure...

Not my computer, but I thought it looked cool!

I guess you can tell now why I procrastinated this... but in reality, I was planning on getting this over with as soon as possible, I just have the worst luck ever... By that I mean that my computer died, not like stopped working for a moment, like it literally died!!! With everything on it! Jk I am over exaggerating a little bit, because I save everything to my one drive or google docs, but nonetheless I was computerless this weekend!!! And so as I sit here at my computer at work I just keep thinking how people did it back then. How could anyone survive without their own computer!?!? 

Okay I guess I'll stop boring everyone with my upset about my baby and get to the point. Here are my tries at a good thesis statement:

Policy:
Although Susie is disregarded throughout the play as being simple minded, through her understanding of the metaphysical- the threshold between the physical and spiritual world- one can see that individuals should not judge a person based on their academic achievements but rather on their interactions with others.
Definition:
Although W;t shows the temporal success of being highly educated, through the use of juxtaposition of Jason and Vivian one can see that the key to success is not through academics but rather though sympathetic interactions with others.
Comparison:
Although through inter-monologue one can see the sympathy and compassion that Vivian craves in the play W;t, it also shows how distant she is from the elements of human nature because she has spent her entire life studying them, not living them.
Evaluation:
Despite the doctors' efforts to rid Vivian of cancer, it is through irony that one can see that it is not the cancer that ends up killing Vivian but rather the cure.
Causal: 
Although Vivian learns the importance of creating relationships in the end, it is through the use flashbacks that one can see how she wasted her life by placing relationships after intellectual pursuits.

Well there you have it! 5 thesis statements :)


#itried  

3 comments:

  1. I especially liked your evaluation thesis... it was straightforward yet very profound. All of your statements could definitely be the starting points of pretty amazing essays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comparison thesis because I think it captures Vivian's emotional disconnect while keeping her human and complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the policy thesis, it would be interesting to explore the idea that she doesn't know that she understands the metaphysical, and that Vivian does on an academic level, but doesn't really. I'd read a paper on this crossed with the definition claim.

    And the evaluation thesis makes a really good point.

    ReplyDelete