Monday, February 1, 2016

W;t Thesis Statements


I'm not sure if these are a correct interpretations of the play, but I at least think they are examples of each type of theses statement.



[Causal] The simplicity of the setting of W;t leads the reader to consider the value of life and the realizations that Vivian comes to.

[Definition] Vivian serves as an example of how the elements of life that we value and spend our time with will seem important until we are forced to see other aspects that are truly important.

[Evaluation] The physicians throughout the play show how it is easier to deal with tough situations when the situations are viewed through a scientific or academic perspective.

[Comparison] Vivian shows there is a difference in how a person deals with tragedy when they see it from a scholarly perspective versus when they do not.

[Policy] Susie shows that regardless of all outside forces, a persons wants and desires should be respected.

3 comments:

  1. I like your definition claim. I KNOW I do the same thing with my passions, and I think there is a lot of truth behind your statement. W;t does show that idea--that even if something is the most important thing in your life, it may or may not change when some other situation becomes more dire. I have no idea if this makes any sense! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the definitions claim as well. I think the idea that we need to be open and able to see things from a different point of view is important. I also thing that your policy claim would be an interesting lens to look at the play from. It didn't really cross my mind. It would be interesting to explore other aspects and themes with regard to that throughout the play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea to analyze the physicians in the play (evaluation claim), that would be an interesting paper to read (seeing the difference between using academia as a shield vs not).

    ReplyDelete