Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Thesis Analysis




I chose the last paper on the list by Amber Mckay

However, I argue that twenty-first century Shakespearean adaptations that translate the original text into modern English vocabulary provide new ways to express the same universal social commentaries on love, sacrifice, and ambition for a wider audience, while honoring Shakespeare's innovative wordplay and word-creation with our changing, growing millennial vocabulary. 

I think this is an evaluation claim.  It argues how modern adaptations should be viewed in comparison with the standards we have in language and writing.  I think this is a good thesis, and it's interesting and arguable. 

To change it into a policy claim you could instead say that, "Twenty-first century Shakespearean adaptations should be viewed as modern ways of expressing the same universal social commentaries on love, sacrifice, and ambition for a wider audience, while honoring Shakespeare's innovative wordplay and word-creation with our changing, growing millennial vocabulary."  

Its not much different but the claim is slightly changed.   

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (My original comment, just posted by the correct email address this time)
    I like how you preserved the core argument of the thesis even though you changed its type. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was impressed that, even though you changed claim types, you were able to keep a lot of the same words and kept the same sentiment. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you made the statement more palatable. I am not much of an advocate for modernizing Shakespeare, and so this is something that takes a REALLY good argument to convince me. I think you did a good job with this.

    ReplyDelete